Saturday, December 27, 2008

Whacky Weather!

What a difference a day or so makes! Just a few hours ago we were enduring subzero temperatures and ice storms. Today it is 60 degrees F!! The snow and ice are gone, but melting snow has choked the storm drains and we are expecting floods. Cheez!

My cousin Carolyn’s birthday is new year’s day and I made a Threadography for her. Normally, I only make one of any given image, but she really loves this one—and it’s the cover of my book. So, for her, I’m making a “limited edition.”

The stitching is complete and it will go to the framer on Monday.

I’m frustrated by a bulge in one section, though. I rarely have bulges from heavy stitching and don’t understand what happened. The piece was stabilized with Pelon Thermolam, although it’s a thinner variety than I usually use. Thread tension was fine. There was a lot of stitching in curves, which may have contributed to the abberation, but I’d love to hear your suggestions for preventing this!


The Idaho Beauty said...

The bulge is a mystery to me too, but the threadwork is beautiful.

Shirley said...

I find that if I start in the center, and work out, in all directions, working slowly to the perimeter of the piece, that it helps keep it from
puckering. I use Pellon fusible pellon when I am going to quilt closely. I don't know whether this will help. Another thing I do, is use timtex or peltex on the back - it makes the picture a bit stiffer, but it never puckers. You might also decide to
quilt the flower separately, and applique it to your background. I do very very tight quilting, and this seems to help the problem. Your flower is stunning! Shirley Paterson