Wednesday, August 5, 2009


These are called "Tattooed T-shirts," just one of many new techniques using Earth Safe Finishes. It began as a rust-dyed T-shirt and then I layered stenciled images on it with the top layer an experiment in applying metallic mica powder.




The detail gives a little better view of the gold powder on top of the opaque and translucent paints. After curing, it will be heat-set and then the washing tests can begin.

This isn't exactly thread related, but it will be when I start using it on art quilts with free-motion stitching on top!

14 comments:

Debbie said...

Very cool and a great technique!

Unknown said...

oooooooooooo . . . . I LOVE THAT!!

bloubell said...

Love the look and the mica powder really did it, Beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

What a great looking tee - I hope you'll teach us how to do this!

MC2 said...

totally fantabulous

Katherine McNeese said...

absolutely GORGEOUS!
I hope you'll be showing us details in a step-by=step process!
?online class?
Katherine

Janet (Cook) Hartje said...

Love this shirt! I wish there were more hours in each day to try everything.

Angie in AZ said...

Oh my gosh, I'd love to have that shirt! I have the worst time finding t-shirts that I like and this one, I LOVE! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tee shirt! Can't wait to see what else you do with this technique!

fabricpixie said...

I think 'WOW' says it all!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Lori Gravley said...

It's beautiful. I love the layers.

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

very interesting technique(s) Beth!

Vivien Zepf said...

Very cool!

Dahn said...

I found your blog while looking at rust dyeing items and I loved it so much I had to comment. This t-shirt is awesome. It would make a mint where ever you decide to sell them.

Very, very nice blog as well.
Dahn

PS-- as a poster said, what about an online class?????